Click to Home
Account
RSSEmail
Go To Search
Help Center

Graphic Links
The City of Granite Shoals
2221 N. Phillips Ranch Road
Granite Shoals, TX 78654
Ph: 830-598-2424
History of Granite Shoals
                                                        History and General Information 
                                                                Granite Shoals, Texas 


                                                                                                                            
  Our Official Seal                             Our City Hall
                Our Official Seal                                                                            Our Spectacular City Hall



Granite Shoals is a growing city with a population of 5025. We are located in the Texas hill country, 44 miles northwest of Austin and 7 miles west of Marble Falls on the east shore of Lake Lyndon B. Johnson (Lake LBJ) at geographic coordinates 30°35′13″N 98°22′54″W30.587032°N 98.381693°W.  The city has an area of approximately 3.2 square miles located off of FM 1431 between Kingsland and Marble Falls.

Granite Shoals was incorporated as a city May 9, 1966. (Our 50th Anniversary year is 2016)  The original city comprised various sections of the Sherwood Shores subdivision, which was at the time the largest platted subdivision in the State of Texas. The Sherwood Shores subdivisions were created from the Phillips, Naumann and Ebeling ranches in 1962. Granite Shoals takes its name from the granite shoals (shallow areas in the water due to granite outcroppings) that were evident on the Colorado River before the construction of Wirtz Dam and Lake Granite Shoals (later renamed Lake Lyndon B. Johnson).

Granite Shoals was developed as a lake resort but by a vote of area residents became an incorporated community in 1966. In November, 2005, residents voted to adopt a home rule charter to govern the city. In 2006, the city hired its first city manager. Granite Shoals is a residential, resort and retirement community and is known as the City of Parks. Homes on the lake front are owned by residents and retired citizens, or are second homes that are used as vacation or weekend homes. Since most of the lake shore property is privately owned, the 19 city parks that are located throughout the city provide free areas for recreation and lake access for residents and visitors. Fifteen of the city parks are located on the shore of Lake LBJ and provide lake access for all. Eight of the parks have boat launch ramps.
 
In 2008 the city purchased 131 acres of land near the entrance to the city located at the intersection of FM 1431 and Phillips Ranch Road. Located on this land, called the municipal complex, are several large buildings that had originally been used for the operation of a granite quarrying and processing company. After refurbishing and modification, the former headquarters building of the granite company was converted into the Granite Shoals City Hall which was dedicated in April 2010. This beautiful large granite and glass structure is located on a granite dome that is the highest point in the city. The panoramic view from city hall is spectacular.

History of Granite Shoals Mayors 

Information related to our granite stone.  

Wikipedia has some information but it is out of date http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite_Shoals,_Texas#cite_note-GR1-3#cite_note-GR1-3